Saturday, September 20, 2014

Some more summer tags on a rainy WInnipeg day.

Hi all,

This working full time stuff is hard!  I napped for 3 hours today and my week wasn't all that unusually busy!  I'm finding that going back to work after summer break is really cutting in my crafty time!  This week, I finished 3 tags (They were semi complete last week), made one layout for Sassy's album, made 2 identical cards, and started to construct the quiet book I am making for my niece for Xmas.  Writing that it sounds like a lot, but its really not.

Today I'm going to share three more tags from my self imposed summer challenge.

For tag #1, I was experimenting with colouring with distress markers directly on the stamp before stamping.  I like the effect that it made. I suggest using a larger stamp with solid areas as opposed to just an outline stamp.  And since I own my dorkiness, I will admit that the red and white label sticker on the right was to cover up and area that did not stamp well. :oP  I stole the idea from somewhere (sorry if it was you and I can not remember now) to fill the  background with various TH rub on words.



For this tag, there were two things I wanted to try.  The first was inking directly onto a stencil, then pressing it onto the tag…that would be the orange lattice.  On top of that I used a few different stencils in the traditional way.  The other thing I wanted to try was finding a use for the mason jar stamp I for at the Simon Says Stamp workshop I attended in Ohio.  It seems to go well with the flower stamp I also acquired so I put them together.  For the "water in the jar" affect, I stamped the jar onto acetate and then apply blue ink with a watercolour brush.  The blue ink didn't seem to want to dry, so I just put that side down on the tag and let it stick.  I also used some pop dots under the flowers to make them seem a little more 3D.

For this last tag, I wanted to play around with layering of both stamps and stencils…for example, making it look like the "admit one" stamp was stamped under the clock.  This is known as masking in the crafty world.  I think outlining the clock stamp with white as an after thought makes it look funny, but that;s the joy of making tags - who cares!  It's just an experiment in being creative!


If you are crafty, I highly recommend listening the the podcasts by The Scrap Gals. These two southern ladies are so ridiculously funny and inspiring.  I feel like I am just one of their besties sitting around having coffee with them.  I started following both of them on facebook and occasionally I feel like writing something on their wall about a project I'm working on, and then I remember that they don't know me at all!!  I doubt they would give a wicketywhack (Thanks Tracie for adding that word to my vocab) about what I am up to! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment