Friday, August 22, 2014

Sassafrass - my lass!

I had a great Facebook conversation with my good friend Cindy (Momma C) about the colour of the tag on the last layout I posted.   At her suggestion, I am going to ink the tag with the same colour pink (Worn Lipstick) that I used on the star circle.  I love getting other artsy people's opinions as sometimes it is is hard to see things about your own work when you have stared at it for so long.  So feel free to comment and suggest how I can improve things!

To change things up, I'm going to post the title layout in the album I just started for Sassy.

My inspiration came from this unknown layout:

Most people have really eventful lives and have to cram as many photos on their layouts as they can, so it is often hard to find good layout with one only photo.  So when I come across inspiring ones, I take screenshots and file them away.  If the world truly is small and this happens to be your layout, please let me know and I will give you all the credit!

What drew me to the inspiration layout was the use of white spare.  I like the photo being in the bottom right corner with the folded over top corner to balance it out.  I knew I wanted to keep that aspect, but I inked a piece of white cardstock with teal ink and put it behind to keep the page square.   
The day I made this layout, I had just received an online order of crafty goodness and I really wanted to use this paper from Farmhouse Paper Company. I love the combination of teal and yellow.  In order to use more than one or two patterns, I added the strips of paper at the bottom of the layout.   
The big butterfly wasn't doing it for me, but I found the two grungeboard stars in my stash and inked them with Peacock Feathers and Mustard Seed.  I used the leftover ink that was on my craft mat to die the crinkle ribbon that I put around the tag behind the picture.
I used a few metallic paints to colour the title plate and used the left over to dye the tag.  The photo doesn't do a great job of showing the match of the tag to the title plate; it is much better in real life.
After placing all the embellishments and other pieces, I felt the left side of the photo to be too open, so I wrote the journalling there, instead of on top of the photo like in the inspiration layout.
It was late at night when I finished.  I came back to the layout the next morning and the white space was, well, too white.  I wasn't happy with it, so I took the Peacock Feathers Ink, added some water, and then flicked it across the page.  This seemed to be the trick as it brings the person's eye towards the photo.  

Here are the supplies used in this layout:
Farmhouse Paper 302 BTW
Tim Holtz distress inks in Peacock Feathers, Mustard Seed, Brushed Corduroy
Tim Holtz distress paints in Picket Fence, Antique Bronze, Tarnished Brass
Tim Holtz rubons, ephemera, crinkle ribbon, grungeboard elements, mini paperclips, wire pin, philosophy tag
Memory box stencils
Various brads from my stash

1 comment:

  1. I like yours better- the warm colours are more appealing.

    ReplyDelete